Hi, I’m Nikki. I’m a software engineer and PhD student in Tempe, AZ. If you’re curious about my engineering experience, check out my LinkedIn; the tl;dr is - Drupal 6,7,8, fancy projects, architecture, technical manager.
I’m an active open source volunteer and community organizer. In 2016, I founded the Drupal Diversity Working Group as a response to the abysmal lack of diversity in the Drupal community. In 2017, I started the Open Demographics Initiative, as a response to watching communities struggle with how to manage their participant demographic data.
I’m a first-year PhD student in Human and Social Dimensions of Science and Technology. At parties, I tell people that I study “engineering ethics.” This is a 100% true statement, but if you ask for more detail, I’ll tell you that I’m interested in a few overlapping areas:
- what can make open source communities healthy and safe (especially for people who are part of under-represented groups)?
- how can we help software engineers act ethically as individuals and community members?
- what deliberate technological interventions can we make to directly counteract systemic injustices like racism, sexism and ableism?
If you’re also interested in any of the above, I’d love to talk to you.
When I’m not writing code or writing papers, I climb rocks, do improv, and take my bulldog to the park.
recent presentations / talks
- “The Imposter Monologues.” Drupalcon Baltimore. April 2017.
- “100 ways to be an ally.” Drupalcon Baltimore. April, 2017
- “Lessons learned: diversity and inclusion advocacy.” Drupalcon Baltimore. April, 2017
- “Dogooding 101”, Badcamp 2016. Berkeley, CA. October, 2016.
- Acquia Dev Video Interview, August 2016
- Keynote, DrupalCamp Costa Rica. San Jose, Costa Rica. August, 2016
- “Together We Can Be the Example for Diversity in Tech.” Drupalcon New Orleans. New Orleans, LA. May, 2016
- “Getting your First Developer Job.” Sandcamp 2016. San Diego, CA. February, 2016
- “The process of making a website.” Sandcamp 2016. San Diego, CA. February, 2016
- “Calling all white men.” Sandcamp 2016. San Diego, CA. February, 2016
- “Empowering Women in Business with 2014 Miss World.” New York, NY. May 27, 2014
- “Lessons Learned: Overcoming Our Mistakes.” Facebook. New York, NY. May 14, 2013
- “Women Talk Tech.” Bloomberg Center for Communications. New York, NY. November, 13, 2013
- “#techinmotion. Struggles of Women in Technology.” New York, NY. March 21, 2013
- “How to create diverse development teams.” 2 World Trade Center, New York, NY. March 10, 2012